Wednesday, May 13, 2009

THE MAGICAL CIRCLE.....

This is not any astronomical thing...this is just about the tasty... murugal dosai...

During my younger days eating fullsize murugal dosai was a dream for me...in those days there was no nonstick tawa.. and my mom struggle hard to separate dosai from dosai kallu... generally that type of dosais get its shape only after 10 attempts... the person who eat that dosa considered to be divine...In our house sreenivas is that divine person...After sometimes non stick tawa came into mrket...I was really wondered to saw the fullsize dosa in my aunt's house...From that day my dream was to purchase the non sticky tawa...

My dream came true while I was working with sarada matriculation school... I won an oratorical competition and got that non stick tawa as first prize... I considered that tawa as a bigger size shield...
After coming home I shared that great joy with my grandpa(sri.subramanyam)I instructed my grandma to prepare dosaimavu... my parents were outof station that time...My patti prepared mavu in attukkal...I wanted to try masala dosai first and i promised the same thing to my thatha also...

Nextday I wokeup early in the morning.... I byhearted all the instructions in the previousday itself...My patti was ready with mavu and masalaa... my thatha was waiting for hot dosaa...after putting first cup of mavu i was waiting.... the dosa shape was round and I called my thatha and showed the shape... he was very happy to see that round dosai...but after few seconds i was not able to separate the dosai from that tawa... something went wrong...i triedagain and again nothing happened...

My patti got hungry and she started preparing dosa in kadai ... it came wellThat day we had ''Bongaram'' as our breakfast instead of masala dosa.. I took halfday leave after tired with this event...

I started collecting tips from experts... and started doing dosais in diff methods... one fine morning I saw full sized murugal dosai in my plate... I learnt the technique very well and carefully maintained that tawa in my cupboard....

After coming to Hyderabad one fine morning I started preparing dosa in non stick tawa...my husband came to kitchen and he told me that he had a good gift for me... i was expecting more... he gave me a big dosaikallu of 5 kg weight and told me that he got it specially for me from his Thiruvannamalai patti.....

Nowadays I m preparing kallu dosai.. only thing I have to eat extra 5 dosais to lift that kallu....

6 comments:

Padma said...

a very good post!and made me enter the memory lane ..:-)))i think all of us have a passion for round murugal dosai.lot of us have such flop experience in kitchen.once i forgot to mix arisi maavu and ulundu maavu in pechu swaarasiyam..next day i saw heavily ulundu maavu but couldnt prepare dosai nor utthappam and after lots of research,i found that i had not mixed both maavus and all the time we were eating ulundu maavu dosai :-)) I think it is a good idea to share my wonderful tips in my recipes blog..:-)))even i bought a big,heavy dosai kallu in kamala stores cbe ..it is really good...keep blogging!:-)))

RAMKI said...

prasanna old is gold u have to change non stickpan frequently.whenever the teflon coating is corroded.have u ever seen exchange offer to dosaikallu.never.u can see only for tawas.tawas r good for chappathies ,not for dosa.idlies prepared in idlipaanai with cloth is better than cooker idly.for jaya narayanan wedding one mama called narsimama from madurai came he had his morning bath in back yard in our d nagar house.he had a longode for bath.some times latter cook was searching for idlythuni....that was joke of the day for mani:-)))

Ravishankar said...

In Karnataka people like thick Dosa instead of murugal one.
In TN people like murugal.
In Andra people like Dosa with more dal.
In North they always like Masala Dosa.
In Mangalore side they like Neer Dosa( Water dosa)
I like SET Masala dosa (2 Masal dosas with different masals)

Nandakumar said...

Welcome for the reincarnation of ur blog.Dosa is a good subject.Hv u seen dosas made in road side hotels.They pour maavu not with 'karandi' but with a plate and use the same for making the shape.The tava will b thick iron plate.Non stick is a gimmick.It bcoms non existant after one year.

A dosa is dosa and nothing can compete with that.We have big family dosas.Do we have big family chappatis??????

Keep dosaing.

Raja said...

Prasanna..welcome to the bloggers club again...by the way is this posted by you? or the so and so who sneaked into your account ;)

Coming to Dosas ..I like Murugal dosai as well as uthapam..These days I limit the use of oil in dosai..so have to sacrifice on the Murugal part..We were using a non-stick tawa for dosai and chappati till 2007...during our recent trip..we decided to carry a fair share of India's iron ore to the US in the form of a heavy dosai kal! ..the results we obtain from it is absolutely stunning..I think it is a good energy saver too..it gets hot in no time and retains heat in low flame for a long time..
Kumar..i have seen road side wallas pour dosai using davaras..not seen them use plates..interesting though..

Prasanna's Pen Speaks ... said...

Ravi...i appreciate ur analysis in diff dosais...u can start adosa dhaba after ur retirement...